Subject: Re: Implementation status of RFC 2110
From: Jacob Palme <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 22 Aug 2000 11:39:58 +0200

At 11.16 -0400 0-08-21, Serguei Mankovskii wrote:
> Can you tell me what is your overall impression of industry acceprting this
> standard? Are you satisfied? Are you aware of any hiden issues associated
> with it?

Most standards tend to have facilities not supported by some vendors.
These are sometimes removed in the next version.

Examples of features not well supported for MHTML today:

- Sending a set of linked web pages, where the mail recipient only
  sees one page but can click to get to the other pages.

- Any non-simple nesting of mime multiparts.

- Those mailers who do not use a web browser to display HTML messages
  sometimes only support a simple subset of HTML.

One can also note that some features not explicitly specified in
the standard are still well supported. Example: the combination
of multipart/alternative with a plain text version first, and
a HTML version afterwards. Note that this can be done in two ways,
with the images outside or inside the multipart/alternative.
Netscape at present puts GIF inside multipart/alternative,
while all other implementations buts GIF outside multipart/alternative.
This means that an implementation must support both alternatives
for receipt, but need only send of course in one of the two ways.
for more info see URL: http://www.dsv.su.se/jpalme/