Help for ESFO-L Archives

ESFO-L Archives

Subject: Pacific Island population estimates at contact
From: Jeff Marck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 21 Oct 2000 13:33:16 -0500

ASAO and ESfO Netters:

I am involved with a group preparing the Oceania presentation for a UN
conference on the world's population in the Second Millennium.

We are finding the task of obtaining estimates of populations at the time
of Western contact rather daunting as there are so many localities and the
estimates are so often obscure and give no indication of how the figure was
arrived at.

I would be very grateful to anyone who would pass on any relevant sources
and your opinion of them for islands with which they are familiar.

There will be a volume published and any figures used will become standard
(secondary) sources to some extent so I would be particularly grateful to
hear from people who have 1. criticisms of estimates of which they are
aware or 2. reason to believe estimates of which they are aware are
actually good or within the probably range.

Thank you,

Jeff Marck

http://home.att.net/~jeff.marck/