Help for ESFO-L Archives

ESFO-L Archives

Subject: Islands VII - First Announcement!!
From: Grant McCall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 17 Aug 2001 15:17:23 -0700

Please forgive cross-posting. I hope that you will find the
accouncement of the Islands VII conference of interest and perhaps
will attend.

Please post this on to anyone you think might be interested.

The names of the current executive of ISISA, whose conference it is,
are in the "TO" part of this e-mail. All the other 586 e-mail
addresses are concealed, at least I hope so!

ISISA stands for the "International Small Islands Studies Association".

Regards,

Grant

=========================Conference Announcement==========================

Hello all,

I am extremely pleased to forward you the call for papers for the
next Islands of the World conference. We at the Institute of Island
Studies at the University of Prince Edward Island are delighted to
announce that we will be hosting this major islands event on behalf
of the ISISA. We are looking forward to meeting as many of you as
possible at the conference, and we hope that many of you will be
encouraged to submit proposals for conference presentations.

Details about conference registration and the conference schedule are
forthcoming, and we will keep you abreast of all developments
through this mailing list and other channels.

Sincerely,
Jane Ledwell

CALL FOR PAPERS

ISLANDS OF THE WORLD VII:
NEW HORIZONS IN ISLAND STUDIES
University of Prince Edward Island
Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada

June 26-30, 2002

The International Small Islands Studies Association and the Institute
of Island Studies invite papers for the seventh Islands of the World
conference, to be hosted by the Institute of Island Studies at the
University of Prince Edward Island in Charlottetown, PEI, Canada, June
26-30, 2002.

The conference committee will consider proposals for presentations on
a broad range of topics related to small islands, with a focus on
islands in action and activities among islands, including small
islands' internal, self-determining activities and their activities in
relation to the wider world; and small islands' individual and
collective actions to maximize their natural advantages and minimize
vulnerabilities. Papers on the conference theme will be considered
from both scholars and island enthusiasts, from research and
experiential perspectives, from local and global outlooks, and from a
variety of disciplines.

Sessions will reflect the diversity of the world's islands and the
range of issues and opportunities in topic areas such as the
following:

     economics, environment, society, and culture

     population, community, and development

     health and education

     energy, natural resources, and sustainable development

     movement, migration, and identity

     politics, public policy, governance, and international relations

     islands-based organizations and institutions, including
universities, governments, government agencies, and NGOs

     cooperation and communication among islands

     technology and knowledge development

Proposals for poster presentations, booth displays, and multimedia
presentations will also be considered.

A number of conference sessions will be dedicated to asserting an
active role for island studies within academic institutions. In these
sessions, scholars working in island studies will discuss the validity
and/or necessity of studying islands and will suggest practical models
for developing the following:

     the theoretical foundations for island studies

     the practice of island studies

     research methodologies for island studies

     core curricula for island studies

Proposals on the general conference themes will be reviewed by an
adjudication committee for their relevance and appropriateness to the
themes. Proposals regarding island studies within academic
institutions will be selected by an international advisory committee
of academics currently contributing important scholarship in island
studies. Members of the advisory committee have been selected by
conference organizers to provide geographic and disciplinary balance.

Those interested in presenting papers should submit their proposed
title and an abstract of not more than 300 words; those proposing
displays or poster presentations should submit a presentation
description of a similar length. If sufficient interest exists, a
session or sessions  in French will be organized. Please submit to the
following address:

Islands VII Conference Secretariat
Institute of Island Studies
University of Prince Edward Island
550 University Avenue
Charlottetown, PEI
Canada C1A 4P3

Telephone: 902-566-0611
Fax: 902-566-0756
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Website: http://www.upei.ca/islandstudies/islandsvii/

Submissions by e-mail are strongly recommended. The deadline date for
submission of abstracts is January 31, 2002. If you require a
confirmation of participation earlier than that date, please contact
the Conference Secretariat.

For more information about the conference or to receive a registration
form, please contact the conference secretariat at the above-noted
address.

Please circulate this notice among colleagues who may be interested in
attending the conference.

Jane Ledwell, Special Projects Officer
Institute of Island Studies
University of Prince Edward Island
Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3
Phone: (902) 566-0377 ~ Fax: (902) 566-0956
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
http://www.upei.ca/islandstudies/