Subject: Re: Beer + Wlan
From: John Angelmo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 20 Mar 2002 12:40:10 +0100

Huopio Kauto wrote:
> Regarding WLAN issues:
>
> One interesting topic might be WLAN security - or lack of it. Plugging
> a WLAN AP into a NOC management LAN is a serious no-no. Also secure
> management connections for on-call engineers etc. I am resonably concerned
> that one day some operators might have network security issues because
> home connection was shared with an on-call engineer and kids at home..
>
> Kauto Huopio
> Information Security Adviser
> Finnish Communications Regulatory Authority / CERT-FI
> tel. +358-9-6966772, fax. +358-9-6966515
> CERT-FI desk: +358-9-6966510 - http://www.cert.fi

WLAN is as much as a security issue as regular LAN, bad management is
the big problem.
The easiest way to implent WLAN at a NOC for service personel is to
simply but a VPN box behind the AP. You get IP from the DHCP server but
to access ANYTHING you need to authenticate yourself trough the VPN

/John