Subject: Re: Network security issues (WAS: Re: Beer + Wlan)
From: Jonas Stenling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 20 Mar 2002 22:55:49 +0100

On Wed, 20 Mar 2002, Simon wrote:

> Is the general opinion that SNMPv3 is Good Enough, or is it used due to
> lack of more appealing alternatives?

I'm not that familiar with SNMPv3. From what I've read  it looks
like it solves most of the important security issues in the former
versions. It would be interesting to hear from somebody who actually
implemented it in their network.

I think that SNMPv2 can be reasonably secure if you implement it in a
cautious way. In other words: Secure enough that there are other issues
that we should try to fix first. (For example inter AS prefix filtering.)

--
Visit: http://www.stenling.nu/contact.html for contact info.
EOF