Subject: Re: Beer + Wlan
From: Simon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 21 Mar 2002 00:00:35 +0100

On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 10:37:02PM +0100, Måns Nilsson wrote:
> --On Wednesday, March 20, 2002 16:14:07 +0100 Simon
> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>

> > Ssh feels like a step in the right direction.
> > It's turned into something of a defacto standard for [unix] server
> > remote administration, let's hope the same happens for
> > routers/switches/etc so we can forget all about telnet.
>
> Nothing wrong with telnet. Clear-text passwords in telnet, that might be a
> problem, otoh, as well as clear-text data channel. (think enable
> passwords). Some telnet implementations have solved this problem, for
> instance Heimdal. (http://www.pdc.kth.se/heimdal)

Maybe i was unclear.
I was refering to the way telnet is generally used for [network]
administration, which generally entails bad thing like clear-text
passwords. In scenarios such as these ssh is imho a better solution.
This is ofcourse completely disregarding whatever fun telnet
protocol-options people may have implemented but which aren't widely
deployed.

I have nothing against the telnet protocol itself.

--
Simon