Subject: Re: Consumer Wlan
From: Patrik Fältström <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 25 Mar 2002 13:07:50 +0100

--On 2002-03-25 12.02 +0100 John Angelmo <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Here comes the problem, I love Wlan and I can manage it, what now happns
> when ppl start ty buy 802.11b equipment putting it up at home with no
> protection at all (wep isn't protection enough:)).

Wep _IS_ protection enough for the protection the consumer need. How secure
do you think the cable system is which today connect the consumers to the
ISP's network?

Have you looked in the basement of apartment buildings where switches etc
are located?

You further mix up security on transmission with security for applications
(which is what consumers need). Security on one layer is not replacing
security on another.

What is needed is that people start to understand that they need to secure
information they transfer over the Internet. And the responsibility for
that are the ones which provide applications to the consumers. For example,
that the organisations running mail servers stop having passwords over
clear text as an alternative for authentication in POP, IMAP and SMTP.

  paf