Diadromous Fish and Marine-Riverine links

Prescott Brownell <[log in to unmask]>

Scientific forum on fish and fisheries <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 25 Apr 2002 09:45:26 -0400

text/plain

Hello fish workers..
Has anyone out there explored in detail the biomass and/or bioenergetics
linkage between riverine and marine environments that is provided by
diadromous fish? Further clarification: There is a substantial base of
historical information we have found that supports a hypothesis that
there formerly were huge migratory populations of fish like American
shad that migrated between rivers of the Atlantic coast and the marine
environment. The biomass exchange/forage base/ecological implications
of these former (pre-1900) populations seems likely to have been very
significant. Is anyone aware of past or present study of this subject?
Thank you for your interest....

P. Brownell

       To leave the Fish-Sci list, Send blank message to:
        mailto:[log in to unmask]
Vacation? send SET FISH-SCI NOMAIL to [log in to unmask]