Subject: Re: Songs spam management
From: Kandra Nygårds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 25 Nov 2002 23:31:20 +0100

From: "Patrik Fältström" <[log in to unmask]>

> > In this case though, it appears that Song is acting as an ISP (Email
> > provider)
>
> A meta-question...I try to say an ISP is the one which moves IP
> packets, while an ASP is running an application/service like email. Is
> that what other people do, or?

I've always considered an ISP to be providing Internet services, such as
email, web, ftp etc. Someone who provides network connectivity (I define
that as dedicated) is in my private world a network provider/operator. As
for ASP, I first encountered that as companies that provided access to a
remote application, such as office-packages via Terminal Services, X11,
Citrix etc. I've personally never associated ASP with someone who provides
email services, since that, IMHO is just a matter of forwarding email from
my computer to its destination and vice versa.

I'd love to see other people's definitions of these though, since I'm quite
open to redefinition of the little world my mind happen to inhabit at the
moment. =)

Best regards,
Kandra Nygards