Subject: Re: Songs spam management
From: Bill Woodcock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 25 Nov 2002 14:56:20 -0800

      Kandra Nygards wrote:
    > I've always considered an ISP to be providing Internet services,
    > such as email, web, ftp etc. Someone who provides network
    > connectivity is a network provider/operator. As for ASP, I first
    > encountered that as companies that provided access to a remote
    > application, such as office-packages via Terminal Services, X11,
    > Citrix etc.

If one wants to go back to the first formal attempt at a definition, the
NII defined an ISP as a seller of dedicated connectivity, which was
presumed to connect to one or more IXes for peering, and purchase transit
from one or more NSPs.  IAPs (Internet Access Providers) were assumed to
just retail dial-up, and be single-homed to an ISP.  NSPs were assumed to
be national or international in scale, wholesale only, and present at many
IXes.  It was assumed that all of these provided basic services like DNS,
mail servers, and news servers, but that the degree to which they focused
on application services like that would be higher, the lower they were in
the hierarchy.  Thus it would be a significant part of an IAP's service
package, and a very small part of an NSP's.

So yeah, that basically lines up with Kandra's definition.

    > I've personally never associated ASP with someone who provides
    > email services, since that, IMHO is just a matter of forwarding
    > email from my computer to its destination and vice versa.

Mm, me either, however Critical Path was one of the first big (if not
successful) ASPs, and email was the only thing they did.  So I guess one
has to differentiate between engineer's use of words and marketing-folk's
use of words.  :-)

                                -Bill