Subject: Re: Songs spam management
From: Ragnar Lonn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 26 Nov 2002 10:09:07 +0100

On Mon, 25 Nov 2002, Kandra Nygårds wrote:

> From: "Patrik Fältström" <[log in to unmask]>
>
> > > In this case though, it appears that Song is acting as an ISP (Email
> > > provider)
> >
> > A meta-question...I try to say an ISP is the one which moves IP
> > packets, while an ASP is running an application/service like email. Is
> > that what other people do, or?
>
> I've always considered an ISP to be providing Internet services, such as
> email, web, ftp etc. Someone who provides network connectivity (I define
> that as dedicated) is in my private world a network provider/operator. As

Well, ISP = "Internet Service Provider" and that can mean that the
company is providing the service "Internet", or IP connectivity, so
I don't think it's wrong to label a company ISP when it provides IP
connectivity services.

I also think this is what most people today refer to as an ISP. An
email-only provider is usually not called ISP. At least not in my
experience. A network provider/operator, OTOH, doesn't have to provide
IP routing services, so saying you're a network operator might mean
you run a Novell network, or something.

Apart from the naming confusion here I agree with PAF, btw :-)  It's
good to separate IP connectivity as a service from application services
that use IP.

Cheers,

  /Ragnar