Subject: Re: Songs spam management
From: Patrik Fältström <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 25 Nov 2002 17:57:05 +0100

On måndag, nov 25, 2002, at 16:59 Europe/Stockholm, John Angelmo wrote:

> Ah sorry, perhaps it was a bad description from my side. Yes, this is a
> case of "Pop before SMTP", my thought was that this might cause more
> trouble since regular users now adds their own SMTP servers that might
> not be as secure as a server located at an ISP then spammers could use
> those instead.
> I see the pop before smtp solution here more as a future problem

If you buy mail service from a provider, then you should use that
provider also for outgoing SMTP. If that provider (as you say between
the lines) do not support SMTP AUTH or STARTTLS, then change provider.

That Song as application service provider only support SMTP service for
the customers which are real mail customers, i.e. they have also POP,
is correct by Song. They do not do anything wrong. They do normal spam
prevention.

I did not see anything in Johns mail about port filtering.

    paf