Re: IP limits from RIPE?

Simon <[log in to unmask]>

Network management discussion for Nordic region <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 4 Dec 2002 12:07:56 +0100

text/plain

On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 11:27:28AM +0100, Fredrik Nyman wrote:
> On 4 Dec 2002 at 11:26, John Angelmo wrote:
>
> > Hello
> > I was wondering what limits RIPE sets for the ISPs concerning IPadressing.
> >
> > For example Telia gives you only one adress via DHCP, if each customer
> > got a /29 net instead we might not have the big problems we have with
> > NAT today.
>
> Telia could give you more than one address using DHCP.
>
> A /29 waste too much of the address space to be assigned to individual
> residential customers. Just think about it, most people have only one or
> possibly two computers. A /29 is eigth addresses, of which two are
> automatically wasted in the network number and broadcast address. Six
> useful, and most people use one or two. Over 70% of the address space
> would be unassigned and unavailable if /29s were assigned widespread.

Not to mention the added administrative overhead in keeping track of
thousands of extra /29's allocated to customers and keeping the ripe
db's up to date with relevant contact information etc.

There is infact a adsl (we are talking about adsl right?) service from
Skanova where you can recieve your own address space by going through
the regular procedures, filling out ripe-219 etc. But the pricing
makes it completely inappropriate for anything other than companys and i
understand Skanovas reasoning behind that completely.

--
Simon