Subject: Re: IP limits from RIPE?
From: Carl Moberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 4 Dec 2002 12:40:53 +0100

Bengt Gördén wrote:

>On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 11:37:48AM +0100, Gordon Lennox wrote:
>

>>But of course the arguments/numbers change dramatically with IPv6... No?
>>

>I'm not that sure. ISP:s seems to think that more ip-numbers to the
>customer is directly connected to loss in income. They have in their
>twisted minds dreamt up services like "no servers on the customers net"
>and that this gives them benefit to sell another circuit, or one with
>a higher pricetag on it, to the people who really would like to have a
>server in her/his home. So, for ISP:s, one ip-number, more income.

 I think (ok, know) that it's more a question of keeping the number
 of available end-user products to a working minimum, and more important,
 to make them  easy to understand. A parallell would be the old system
 design saying "optimize for the common case". All ISPs would rush
 multi-IP leases to ADSL users iff the common case was end-users
 with servers at home.

 So, for ISP:s, the most customer satisfaction with the smallest working
 number of products, more income.

>- KTHNOC/SUNET/NORDUnet | http://www.sunet.se/~bengan | 08-7906586 -

-- calle