Subject: Re: IP limits from RIPE?
From: Bengt Gördén <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 4 Dec 2002 13:13:02 +0100

On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 12:40:53PM +0100, Carl Moberg wrote:

> I think (ok, know) that it's more a question of keeping the number
> of available end-user products to a working minimum, and more important,
> to make them  easy to understand. A parallell would be the old system
> design saying "optimize for the common case". All ISPs would rush
> multi-IP leases to ADSL users iff the common case was end-users
> with servers at home.
>
> So, for ISP:s, the most customer satisfaction with the smallest working
> number of products, more income.

Yes. And that boiles down to one ip-number per computer.

Ok. I can agree on the definition of the lesser amount of product more
income. But I still think that ISP:s should have been lifted in their
ear for inventing this "no server on the net"-thing. The problem is
that the normal customer doesn't understand the fundamentals behind
computing and communication. ISP:s take advantage of that. So
customers go for their crappy products. To cite Peter Lothberg about
ISP:s (in this case Telia) "they do not contribute to Internet". ISP:s
selling services like this do not contribute to internet. Without
having investigated this i believe that, the more servers, the more
customers.

- KTHNOC/SUNET/NORDUnet | http://www.sunet.se/~bengan | 08-7906586 -