Subject: Re: IP limits from RIPE?
From: Carl Moberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 4 Dec 2002 13:48:55 +0100

Bengt Gördén wrote:

>On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 12:40:53PM +0100, Carl Moberg wrote:
>

>>I think (ok, know) that it's more a question of keeping the number
>>of available end-user products to a working minimum, and more important,
>>to make them  easy to understand. A parallell would be the old system
>>design saying "optimize for the common case". All ISPs would rush
>>multi-IP leases to ADSL users iff the common case was end-users
>>with servers at home.
>>
>>So, for ISP:s, the most customer satisfaction with the smallest working
>>number of products, more income.
>>

>Yes. And that boiles down to one ip-number per computer.
>
>Ok. I can agree on the definition of the lesser amount of product more
>income. But I still think that ISP:s should have been lifted in their
>ear for inventing this "no server on the net"-thing. The problem is
>that the normal customer doesn't understand the fundamentals behind
>computing and communication. ISP:s take advantage of that. So

 Do you believe they should (or must, for some reason)? Do my mother know
 the fundamentals about telephones or telecommunications, not to mention
 how an ATM works? Is the Internet (as in IP-connected units) not ín the end
 a platform for services in contrast to someting with value in itself?

>customers go for their crappy products. To cite Peter Lothberg about

 Customers will (eventually) go for products that adds value. E-mail
 is what keeps the few surviving ISPs alive (with p2p-messaging as a strong
 runner up).

>ISP:s (in this case Telia) "they do not contribute to Internet". ISP:s
>selling services like this do not contribute to internet. Without
>having investigated this i believe that, the more servers, the more
>customers.

 Peter did, as may of us know, lose the ability to be reasonable
 on all things Telia a looooong time ago. Telia contributes to the
 Internet in the same way as all other large ISPs. They do some
 research, build enormous networks and try their best to make
 money out of selling technology.

>- KTHNOC/SUNET/NORDUnet | http://www.sunet.se/~bengan | 08-7906586 -

-- calle