Subject: Re: IP limits from RIPE?
From: John Angelmo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 4 Dec 2002 14:17:29 +0100

Carl Moberg wrote:

> And where is the ROI for Telia? How would you go about to try
> and make money out of flat-rate ADSL connections? Don't forget
> that practically all ISPs in sweden are dumping their connections
> (selling the product with loss).

ROI isn't added with the VLAS ;)
Telia has a flatrate system today.
Having a system based on recieved Mbytes dosn't work since no one want's
to pay for possible DoS/DDoS attacks.
ROI is added whey you have a simple system for the end user, then you
would have less support calls, IP-phones, Internetaware TVboxes and
other stuff could be easily added without the need to modify them for
the VLAS login system

One other funny thing is that you could send a HTML mail with a frame
that inclues the logoutscript in telia login1.telia.com and suddenly the
telia ComHem/ADSL/HomeRun user reading that mail would be logged out.
I tesed it a year ago and it worked, perhaps it's fixed now.

> > If Telia would have launched their ADSL service with a simpler system we
> > wouldn't have the problem with NAT that exists today, since Telia has
> > 80% of the ADSL market
>

> I think (ok, know) that NAT is optional in the current system and the
> reason that many ISPs use NATs are that they are easy to roll
> out (no IP configuration on the customer facing interfaces),
> and that RIPE don't like public IP-addresses unless they're
> explicitliy needed. Not saying that I like this.

NAT is something that the user adds since more and more ppl have more
then one computer in their homes, NAT causes trouble with services and
perhaps future ISP related services.

/John