Subject: Re: IP limits from RIPE?
From: Jesper Skriver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 4 Dec 2002 14:19:15 +0100

On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 12:16:11PM +0100, Måns Nilsson wrote:

> - --On Wednesday, December 04, 2002 11:43:20 +0100 Fredrik Widell
> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> > But I agree, why not just give adresses to hosts asking for adresses
> > via dhcp? the netmask usually is /24 anyhow, so if a user needs more
> > adresses they will receive more adresses, and if they are connected
> > via a LAN they can talk to each other aswell.
>
> I agree with Fredrik. This is a good way to empower users. And I want
> that to happen, for a multitude of reasons, one significant being
> that I believe that empowered users are likely to buy more Internet
> capacity, keeping all of us busy.
>
> One *might* assign some kind of limit per subscriber, to prevent from
> DoS by snarfing all leases. This, I believe, is already being done, by
> Bredbandsbolaget.

We at TDC Tele Danmark offer a residential ADSL product, where we assign
addresses via DHCP to the end users PC's.

The default configuration allow for 2 leases pr. ADSL line, but for a
modest admin fee, we allow for 6 leases pr. ADSL line.

It's really a no brainer, and it dramatically lowered the number of
calls to the helpdesk, the users are happy, no problems with PPPoX or
the limitations of NAT.

/Jesper

Senior network engineer @ AS3292, TDC Tele Danmark