Subject: Re: IP limits from RIPE?
From: Gordon Lennox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 4 Dec 2002 15:29:59 +0100

Some thoughts:

Suppliers who think it is best to keep their customers in too small a box
and make them uncomfortable and make them worry about how much every little
thing they do costs will lose in the long run. That is what history says. We
have been through a lot of this before - by "we" I do not mean "you and me"
because a lot of this goes back long, long way.<g> See:

http://www.dtc.umn.edu/~odlyzko/doc/history.communications0.pdf

Of course that still does not stop people trying to make some extra in the
meantime, in the short term!

People will want to play more, participate more and even run servers - and
they can't behind nat's and they can't with dynamic addresses. People will
increasingly expect their own address space, particularly with v6. They will
not want to go back to their access provider everytime they buy a new toy or
everytime they have a visitor.

Maybe in the future we will need to propose ONP-bis.<g> The "Open Network
Provision" Directive was meant to facilitate the emergence of competition by
obliging the telco incumbents to open up a little. Maybe ONP-bis would mean
that domestic and soho-users would have some basic rights to open network
access: some address space and, unless explicitly requested, no filtering
(port, content, whatever). I know some people who would already add to that
somethings about the DNS.

Gordon

PS An IP address per computer? Perhaps more an address per interface. I have
seen situations where it would have been nice to have my laptop being at
least two-faced.