Subject: Re: IP limits from RIPE?
From: Simon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 4 Dec 2002 15:59:57 +0100

On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 03:29:59PM +0100, Gordon Lennox wrote:
> Some thoughts:
>
> Suppliers who think it is best to keep their customers in too small a box
> and make them uncomfortable and make them worry about how much every little
> thing they do costs will lose in the long run. That is what history says. We
> have been through a lot of this before - by "we" I do not mean "you and me"
> because a lot of this goes back long, long way.<g> See:
>
> http://www.dtc.umn.edu/~odlyzko/doc/history.communications0.pdf

On the other hand, considering the very low margins an isp has on
'consumer broadband connections' adding any extra value-services is
difficult. People simply aren't willing to pay for anything above the
bare minimum, yet they still want the whole pie.
When people start gathering in angry mobs on the streets because their
adsl connection costs more than 250 SEK/month there's a problem imho.
People need to realize that providing these services actually costs
money and the companies doing the providing have an obligation to it's
stockholders to _make_ money. Non of use are charities.

--
Simon