Subject: Re: IP limits from RIPE?
From: Martin Back <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 4 Dec 2002 16:18:59 +0100

 Fredrik Söderblom wrote on Dec 04, 2002 at 03:47:51 PM:
> if you are using openbsd's bridge functionality, you could prolly
> stop your client's arp requests from passing thru your openbsd
> bridge, and hence no arp reply would be triggered from the arp proxy.
>
> you would need to create static arp's for B2's gw (on all of
> your hosts) though.
>
> ie smt like:
>
> brconfig bridge0 rule block in on fxp0 dst ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
> brconfig bridge0 rule  pass in on fxp0
>
> where fxp0 would be your internal NIC.

Took me a few minutes to remember, but I was sure I had already tried
this approach... and I was right :)

You ever tried to use DHCP through something that does not allow
broadcasts? Doesn't work very well at all I can tell you... :o)

Thanks for trying though...

I was talking to Daniel Hartmeier (the author of openbsds packet filter)
about my problem, but since ARP requests/replies are on such a low
level, there would be no support for filtering it in pf. Darn... :)

Most people aren't able to understand the need for arp proxies, and
in my case I'd much rather not have one there, since I have no need to
be able to connect to my neighbours computers... but for some reason
B2 don't really care about my problems, I wonder why... :)

./m