Subject: Re: IP limits from RIPE?
From: Kim Lundgren <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 4 Dec 2002 16:15:47 +0100

> On the other hand, considering the very low margins an isp has on
> 'consumer broadband connections' adding any extra value-services is
> difficult. People simply aren't willing to pay for anything above the
> bare minimum, yet they still want the whole pie.
> When people start gathering in angry mobs on the streets because their
> adsl connection costs more than 250 SEK/month there's a problem imho.
> People need to realize that providing these services actually costs
> money and the companies doing the providing have an obligation to it's
> stockholders to _make_ money. Non of use are charities.

It seems pretty clear to me that geting customers to use their
connections in more ways is a Good Thing(tm). More frequently, for more
things, to talk to more people, you name it. It costs bandwidth, but it
also widens the market.

It's also clear that the enthusiasts that want several static IPs are
the same people who sell the service. Maybe they are the guy at work who
hosts a game-server of some sort that others get a broadband connection
to play on. Maybe he enlightens a neighbour, or family.

I guess all I am saying is that putting a definite price-tag on it is
hard. It doesn't end at the actual cost of the service, there are other
factors.

Internet access might be popular, but it has by no means reached the
kind of critical mass you see with phones and TV. Adding services costs
money, but it also pushes us slowly towards that point.

// Kim Lundgren