Subject: Re: IP limits from RIPE?
From: Gordon Lennox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 4 Dec 2002 16:55:36 +0100

I agree. It has to work commercially. So *I* have no problem with the idea
of paying.

(I still remember upsetting somebody some years back who tried to insist the
Internet was free.)

But there are still some higher margin communication products out there. I
would be happy to drop my fixed line telephone and pay a bit more to my
access provider if I could do some friendly VoIP/Internet telephony with the
very small number of people I want to talk a lot (from home, during the
evening and at the weekend).

On almost the same note, I would also like to be able to stop paying for the
radio stations that my cable operator supplies - I have never listened to
any of them. Internet radio is much more attractive to me.

In other words we should avoid "damaged goods" when it comes to access. I
(naively?) think that good clean access will encourage people to use it more
and for more things. They will then drop other older products that become
less interesting. They should then be more ready to upgrade and pay more.

Maybe part of the problem though is the lack of user understanding of what
is possible - how they can get more value out of access in a wide variety of
ways and so be more ready to pay more. I think in the UK when they talk
about putting broadband into every school they are still thinking too often
about kids simply browsing and not about kids working interactively with
other kids far away. The bandwidth etc. requirements may not be that
different but the perceived value, and therefore willingness to pay, will
be.

Gordon