Subject: Re: IP limits from RIPE?
From: Jakob Schlyter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 4 Dec 2002 18:00:54 +0100

On Wed, 4 Dec 2002, Carl Moberg wrote:

> > But why would you then need to let the users login since you already
> > know from what phoneline the user comes from...
>
>   Statistically, there are more than one physical person behind every
>   phoneline (understatement). It would be extremely bad design to
>   identify the end-user by the way he/she connects to the network.

same could apply to pstn phone lines, but noone requires a pin code before
dialing either. if this is a question about liablity, then perhaps the
subscriber contract should be changed to reflect reality.

providers requiring login for ethernet-based services, like telia adsl,
are loosing customers because of this. the user want a simple always on
services, not some almost-like-a-modem services (though pppoe providers
are even worse).

the cpe nat-box vendors hack strange code into their boxes to login to the
service all based on a proprietery webthingy. I really hope pana, the ietf
working group doing "Protocol for carrying Authentication for Network
Access", can make something that standardizes the authentication protocol
though.

        jakob