Subject: Re: IP limits from RIPE?
From: Carl Moberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 12 Dec 2002 09:50:18 +0100

Patrik Fältström wrote:

> On torsdag, dec 12, 2002, at 07:47 Europe/Stockholm, Måns Nilsson wrote:

[...]

> An ISP because of this need to understand they have to make sure they
> make money on the movement of IP packets, and then let people which run
> services do so. That can be a separate part of the same company of
> course, but the keyword is separate.

 I agree completely in principle. My experience from a number
 of large ISPs is that eventually one of two things happen:
  - The word "synergy" pops up in the heads of upper management
    and the two parts of the company become one.
  - The bit-transporters think that the service people pay less
    than they should and the service people think that the
    bit-transport is way to expensive. So they start duplicating
    each others work in the name of cost efficiency (oh, the irony).

 This is not in defense of inferior services.

> If they continue to think they can not make money on the IP transport,
> they will die. If you're an ISP, just ignore the email, homepage,
> whatever service, and instead sell IP packets. Just IP packets. How
> many staff can you remove? How many computers from your computer room
> can you remove? You can suddenly decide whether you are acting on local
> (geographical) or global scale. On global scale you can probably not
> have end-user support, but instead only sell to ISP's which act on
> local scale. ISP's which have 100-200 customers.
>
> If another corner of your company want to do website hosting, fine. Let
> them do it, but see that they make money on their own. Possibly by
> giving hosting not only for your IP customers, but also IP customers of
> others.

 Amen to that.

> Etc etc etc...
>
>    paf