Subject: Re: IP limits from RIPE?
From: Kurt Erik Lindqvist <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 12 Dec 2002 09:10:11 +0100

> In other words we should avoid "damaged goods" when it comes to
> access. I
> (naively?) think that good clean access will encourage people to use
> it more
> and for more things. They will then drop other older products that
> become
> less interesting. They should then be more ready to upgrade and pay
> more.
>
> Maybe part of the problem though is the lack of user understanding of
> what
> is possible - how they can get more value out of access in a wide
> variety of
> ways and so be more ready to pay more. I think in the UK when they talk
> about putting broadband into every school they are still thinking too
> often
> about kids simply browsing and not about kids working interactively
> with
> other kids far away. The bandwidth etc. requirements may not be that
> different but the perceived value, and therefore willingness to pay,
> will
> be.

I think the problem with what we are are focusing on for access is that
this is mostly residential use, with ADSL for example. This will not
not really help the economy. Having high speed home access won't
generate more employment opportunities. What we really would need is
better access for corporate users through out Europe, and then ADSL
won't cut it. They want their cable-TV, financial wire services,
Frame-RElay and voice services come in over the same cable.

- kurtis -