Subject: Re: IP limits from RIPE?
From: Fredrik Nyman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 4 Dec 2002 11:27:28 +0100

On 4 Dec 2002 at 11:26, John Angelmo wrote:

> Hello
> I was wondering what limits RIPE sets for the ISPs concerning IPadressing.
>
> For example Telia gives you only one adress via DHCP, if each customer
> got a /29 net instead we might not have the big problems we have with
> NAT today.

Telia could give you more than one address using DHCP.

A /29 waste too much of the address space to be assigned to individual
residential customers. Just think about it, most people have only one or
possibly two computers. A /29 is eigth addresses, of which two are
automatically wasted in the network number and broadcast address. Six
useful, and most people use one or two. Over 70% of the address space
would be unassigned and unavailable if /29s were assigned widespread.

--
Fredrik Nyman
PacketFront Sweden AB