Subject: Re: IP limits from RIPE?
From: Fredrik Widell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 4 Dec 2002 11:43:20 +0100

On Wed, 4 Dec 2002, Fredrik Nyman wrote:

> On 4 Dec 2002 at 11:26, John Angelmo wrote:
>
> > Hello
> > I was wondering what limits RIPE sets for the ISPs concerning IPadressing.
> >
> > For example Telia gives you only one adress via DHCP, if each customer
> > got a /29 net instead we might not have the big problems we have with
> > NAT today.
>
> Telia could give you more than one address using DHCP.
>
> A /29 waste too much of the address space to be assigned to individual
> residential customers. Just think about it, most people have only one or
> possibly two computers. A /29 is eigth addresses, of which two are
> automatically wasted in the network number and broadcast address. Six
> useful, and most people use one or two. Over 70% of the address space
> would be unassigned and unavailable if /29s were assigned widespread.

otoh, only less than 30 percent of the available ipv4 adresspaces
is used on the Internet today, so there's lots of space left.

But I agree, why not just give adresses to hosts asking for adresses
via dhcp? the netmask usually is /24 anyhow, so if a user needs more adresses
they will receive more adresses, and if they are connected via a LAN they
can talk to each other aswell.

--

Mvh

        /Fredrik

KTHNOC, KTH, S-100 44 Stockholm, Sweden +46 8 790 65 17