Subject: Re: IP-tel
From: Patrik Fältström <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 24 Jan 2003 08:12:37 +0100

On torsdag, jan 23, 2003, at 23:17 Europe/Stockholm, Jonas Stenling
wrote:

> It will take years to convince the current customers using the
> Internet to
> pay based on their usage of the network, but I believe that is the
> single
> most important thing in order to get VoIP and other stuff going.
>
> Bits are not transfered free of charge.

Convince and convince, I would like to see the first ISP which dare to
really look at the fact, that (I think) 1% of the customers use 98% of
the bandwidth.

Say an ISP have 10Mbps to households.

A "normal" household possibly use average 250kbps during the 6 hours
per day someone is using the connection.

This gives 20GByte/month (if I have not calculated wrong).

Max transfer (5Mbps) gives 1642GByte/Month, about 80 times more.

Now, say one ISP start having a charging scheme where the total amount
of bytes is counted per month, as follows:

   0 - 30GByte     -10%
  30 - 100GByte    +10%
100 - 500GByte    +50%
     > 500GByte   +200%

Or something. A charging scheme where the majority of the users get
_lower_ price, while the users which use too much pay more. If the ISP
loose these few customers because they want fixed price...tough luck.
The ISP gain more by not having to transfer the bits for those users.

Now, the customer very seldom can change the behavior so fast, so the
charging should be as follows:

Month     Actual xfer    Charging class
   1          10G          0 - 30G
   2         200G          0 - 30G (With Warning)
   3          20G          0 - 30G
   4         250G          0 - 30G (With Warning)
   5         260G        100 - 500G

I.e. move the customer between the charging classes with one month
delay. That way the customer have time changing whatever needed, and
will not be surprised like with electricity bills in Sweden.

      paf