Subject: Re: IP-tel
From: Saku Setala <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 24 Jan 2003 12:12:10 +0200

We did have usage based billing, and still do.

Most of the customers jumped to flat rate when it
was made available. Only customers with very very
small traffic still keep the metering.

I admit that at least the list prices for metered traffic
has not been very attractive.
Never heard anyone was paying those either..

In previous life, I was in a company which provided
accounts where customers could deposit money
(pre-pay) and it was then deducted the end of
every dialup session. (time+data)

That system was up&running until 31.12.2002.

However, building and maintaining that system was not
so trivial. Many people have commented that they would
really like to have similar system, but it is very
expensive to build into a network afterwards, and
also increases staff requirements (billing/helpdesk).

In the end of last year we decided to turn that old system off
and migrate customers to flat-rate.

Saku Setšlš
System Planning Manager
Network Services, Elisa Internet Oy (LTD)