Subject: Re: IP-tel
From: Jasminko Mulahusic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 24 Jan 2003 12:52:58 +0100

> > Or something. A charging scheme where the majority of the users get
> > _lower_ price, while the users which use too much pay more.
> If the ISP
> > loose these few customers because they want fixed
> price...tough luck.
> > The ISP gain more by not having to transfer the bits for
> those users.
>
> Yes, but what about denial of service attacks aimed at
> increasing the bill
> for a specific customer? How do you solve that problem?

and what about streaming services?

to me, the volume based charging scheme looks like a shortsighted solution --  to protect networks now. but if the flat-rate business models have proven not to hold, then in order not to impede innovation on the 'net, a more flexible charging architecture might be needed.

jasminko