Subject: Re: IP multicast for DSL customers
From: Carl Moberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 24 Jan 2003 14:25:20 +0100

Huopio Kauto wrote:
> Regarding high-bandwidth applications:
>
> What is the present mindset/network reality regarding IP multicast
> for DSL customers? Any ongoing/planned experiments?

  Last I looked, all ISPs (well, ok, except maybe not
  Sprint for other reasons) was waiting for/looking for a
  way to make money out of it before rolling it out. I
  suspect that that is still the case.

  The next step in the evolution would of course be to find
  a way to make your legacy distribution routers actually
  survive a large scale multicast with dynamic routing
  scenario without choking to death.

-- calle