Subject: Re: IP multicast for DSL customers
From: Patrik Fältström <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 24 Jan 2003 14:47:44 +0100

On fredag, jan 24, 2003, at 14:25 Europe/Stockholm, Carl Moberg wrote:

>  Last I looked, all ISPs (well, ok, except maybe not
>  Sprint for other reasons)

:-)

>  was waiting for/looking for a
>  way to make money out of it before rolling it out. I
>  suspect that that is still the case.

If they had volume based billing, it would have increased their income
because more bits means more income.

The problem I see is that many ISPs (well, ok, except maybe not Sprint
for other reasons) look at what they can sell in terms of "services",
when what they should do is to sell bits, and they let others
(including departments which are evaluated separately) sell services.

Multicast for me means more traffic, and more traffic should be a good
thing for an ISP. Else there is something wrong in the state of
Denmark(*).

     paf

(*) I saw a program on TV yesterday about Halmet on Sami i Jukkasjärvi,
so there is lot of Shakespeare in my head at the moment....