Subject: Re: IP-tel
From: Jasminko Mulahusic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 24 Jan 2003 16:36:34 +0100

> "Protecting networks". It sounds wrong, it is wrong (and I am
> not blaming
> you, Jasminko; you just caught the spirit of this
> discussion). What the
> average ISP *really* wants is more business, not "protection" (ie.
> stagnation). If you as an ISP can't pay the bills with your
> income, then
> your pricing is wrong, or your organisation not lean enough.
> You should go
> bankrupt and let others take your business. This is capitalism.

i didn't say the volume based billing schemes were a good idea. the fact is, i don't know wheter it is bad or good.

what i tried to say was that with volume based billing you would get rid of (or get them to pay more) of the 10% customers that stand for 90% of the traffic volume. but what you would also do is probably kill all the bandwidth demanding applications (as streaming services) and further development/improvement of such.

jasminko