Subject: Re: IP-tel
From: Kurt Erik Lindqvist <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 30 Jan 2003 10:20:51 +0100

>> As we reach higher access-speeds I feel that there is definately room
>> for
>> a usage based high-speed service, for instance for ethernet users.
>>

> Yes, yes!  Tell me when and where I can buy it. I want it both for my
> company and at home.
>
> And, like PAF, I also offer to help calculate a realistic per-bit cost
> if someone should feel an urge to share usage pattern data. I *really*
> want good usage-based billing Internet connectivity to happen.

For this to work though, you need a reliable data gathering method.
Netflow on high-speeds only do samples, if I remember with 5% deviation
of actual traffic. Question arises if that is accurate enough to use as
billing data....

In the IETF the ip-fix WG was supposed to create a protocol that would
solve this, they are now in the MPLS swap trying to figure out how to
generate statistics on MPLS labels....no sign of intelligent life.

If I remember correctly, Lasse Hanson (that I think is on the list)
told me that the problem with high-speed interfaces is not to generate
the data, it's to get it shipped off the router. So what we would need
is a protocol that would let you

a) from a few parameters choose what to generate stats for (source,
dest, packets, bytes, ports?)
b) Aggregate it on the router
c) Send in batch

Who writes the draft? :)