Subject: Re: IP-tel
From: Bengt Gördén <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 30 Jan 2003 11:31:07 +0100

On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 11:13:10AM +0100, Kurt Erik Lindqvist wrote:
> >It is related only because the providers choose to do debiting that
> >way. The investment is only related to actually what it costs to buy
> >and install. What you do have as a dynamic in this is the operations
> >and the upgrade of the network and that is volume related. But thats
> >not the big investment (just look at Gigasunet). Thus you do not need
> >volume based debiting.
>
> To be honest Gigasunet is a poor comparison. You have a relatively
> fixed number of users, with only the bandwidth increasing. A commercial
> network has variation on both number of customers, statistical
> multiplexing and bandwidth.

Bah. It's only mathematics. Your user stock and their usage of the
network aren't increasing in a chaotic manner.

> Academic networks normally make poor models for commercial calculations.

No. They just leads it. :-) (don't answer this or we will have a debate
that probably will take the rest of Internets lifetime and we will both
be wrong. We can have a thrilling debate at the next coffee break at
NORDNOG)

- KTHNOC/SUNET/NORDUnet | http://www.sunet.se/~bengan | 08-7906586 -