Subject: Re: IP limits from RIPE?
From: Kurt Erik Lindqvist <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 2 Jan 2003 12:38:05 +0100

>> I think the problem with what we are are focusing on for access is
>> that
>> this is mostly residential use, with ADSL for example. This will not
>> not really help the economy. Having high speed home access won't
>> generate more employment opportunities. What we really would need is
>> better access for corporate users through out Europe...
>
> I have to disagree entirely.  Think about Patrik and myself.  Do you
> think
> I could readjust to working in an office, after fifteen years of being
> able to work from home?  If I were to try, would that be an economic
> improvement, or a step backwards?  Would it be an _ecological_
> improvement, or a step backwards?

Bill, I think that for you and Patrick this is true. Probably for many
others as well. But I don't think it holds true for the majority. Most
jobs can't even be done from home.

For a very long term perspective a built out infrastructure will bring
benefit to the economy in the form of additional services that can be
offered, but as the .com bubble has proved we are not nearly there yet.
The main advantages with a built out infrastructure is costsavings for
existing services and businesses. Be it POTS and Frame-Relay. That is
where we will need to have to start if you want this to get general
adoption and make the building out economics to work.

Best regards,

- kurtis - (in a rainy Verbier - but it's powder at the top).