Subject: Re: RIPE down - DDoS confirmed
From: Kurt Erik Lindqvist <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 28 Feb 2003 08:48:37 +0100

>> I tried to propose to the PTS that Netnod would start announcing the
>> ISPs own addressspace and 0.0.0.0/0 to them just to see what happens.
>> They didn't seem to like the idea...
>
> Wonder why? ;-)

On a serious note I do think something like this would be useful. But
in a controlled environment.

 From my memory we have lost peering (for all ISPs) across D-GIX/Netnod
two or three times since I started running a connection there, which
was end of 1996. In two of the cases it was an ISP announcing the
entire world and in the third case it was someone who started
announcing the peering prefix (this was around the time it was started
to get considered good to filter these...:)). Problem is that this was
back in 1997 and I most of the people who where around then and got
burnt is not longer running networks. I think we need an incident like
this every year to keep people on their toes.

- kurtis -