Subject: Re: RIPE down - DDoS confirmed
From: Rob Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 28 Feb 2003 09:48:10 -0600

Hi, NORDNOG folks.

] Since this discussion is on the list, should'nt we, the Swedish (and nordic)
] ISP's try to begin to use prefix-filtering instead of the mixed mess of
] maximum-prefixes, as-path-origin or no filters at all?

I have a template approach to the use of prefix-lists for filtering:

http://www.cymru.com/Documents/secure-bgp-template.html

Those of you using Juniper routers can use Steve Gill's template:

http://www.qorbit.net/documents/junos-bgp-template.pdf

For peering points with lots of prefixes, you can use the loose or
strict prefix filter templates created by Barry Greene (among
others):

ftp://ftp-eng.cisco.com/cons/isp/security/Ingress-Prefix-Filter-Templates/

Keep in mind that prefix hijacking is a popular trick in the spammer
community.  It is therefore wise to filter your announcements, and
to coax the wider community to do the same.

I hope this helps!

Thanks,
Rob.
--