Subject: Re: RIPE down - DDoS confirmed
From: Fredrik Widell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 3 Mar 2003 11:16:33 +0100

On Sat, 1 Mar 2003, Niclas Comstedt wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Mar 2003, Michael Hallgren wrote:
>
> > So, you proxy modulo time then. Thoug I think your approach is thoughtful, I
> > feel
> > it would be even more fortunate to attempt "social engineering"... (?) I
> > mean,
> > rather have/help the "guilty" neighbor add relevant object, than proxy
> > patching (?)
>
> Well, you assume my "neighbor" is the guilty party. It might be far
> downstream from my neigh (which of course might be considered a fault of my
> neigh even if not the origing of it), and I'm not sure that helping all
> those are feasible.

But if you neglect to do the work for your neighbours transit-customers
we will maybe in the end end up with working registries, since maybe the
customer finds that he reaches you via the global transit instead of
via his ISP, and complaints to his ISP, and the ISP enlighten him that
he should reigster a route-object, but if you do the work for him the
database will continue to be bad. I think the ones misbehaving should
suffer somewhat for this.

--

Mvh

        /Fredrik

KTHNOC, KTH, S-100 44 Stockholm, Sweden +46 8 790 65 17