Help for ET-W5 Archives

ET-W5 Archives

Subject: Internet Conference on Biotechnology in Africa
From: Jacky Foo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 1 Dec 2004 15:24:58 +0100

From: Jacky Foo <[log in to unmask]>

In 1999, I was involved in the feasibility study to planning for an
Internet Conference on Biotechnology in Africa. This activity did not
happen as the primary funding agency felt it was too early to embark
into such a ICT effort.

I just returned from Nairobi last week and I now get emails from school
children whom I met.  In East Africa, you can find Internet or Cyber
cafes in most cities and larger towns. A common charge is about 1 US$
per hour and this makes it possible for city kids to keep a free email
account which they can check at least once a week. Many scientists use
email now and thus making it possible for IOBB and national
representatives in African countries to consider organising the Internet
Conference on Biotechnology in Africa next year.

IOBB national reps in Nigeria and Senegal organised two biotechnology
events this year:
(a) Nigeria: 'Workshop on Biotechnology for Economic Development in
Africa in the 21st Century' (13 & 14 July, 2004)
http://www.iobbnet.org/news/NG-01.html
(b) Senegal: 11th Congress of the Association on Biological Nitrogen
Fixation. (November 22 - 27) http://www.iobbnet.org/news/aabnf04

There is an interest to select materials from these activities to be
used as background papers for session topics for the future ICBA.

I have created a email list for planning of the ICBA and I invite all
Africans and people who are interested to plan, co-organize and/or
participate in ICBA next year to join the list.

To join, you can join via http://segate.sunet.se/archives/et-zeus.html
or email [log in to unmask] and use the subscription command:
SUB ET-ZEUS yourfirstname yourlastname, country code

regards
jacky foo
www.iobbnet.org