Help for EVN-NREN Archives

EVN-NREN Archives

Subject: Re: evlbi test Friday March 10 1230 UT
From: Arpad Szomoru <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 7 Mar 2006 14:07:55 +0100

Hi Marco. No plain pc available, at least not on our Gb
network, but I will reserve one Mark5 for your tests. I'll send you the
details a bit later.
-Arpad

On Tue, 7 Mar 2006, Marco Marletta wrote:

> Arpad, Mike
> my Skype name is marco_marletta
>
> In preparation of the science test, and to boost the Medicina capabilities, i
> would ask you the availability of a MkV and possibly a "plain" PC at JIVE, to
> perform some intensive and as continuous as possible tests *well before* the
> 16th, and possibly not only on March 10th.
> I will need root privileges on those machines too, because we would like
> to perform also packet capture of the streams.
>
> Thanks in advance for all you can do,
>
> Marco Marletta
>
> Mike Garrett ha scritto:
> > Dear Aprad et al. - I just wanted to re-emphasise the importance of the
> > proposed tests. The 16 March observations represent the first "open" use
> > of the e-VLBI technique and there is some pressure to ensure that we can
> > deliver good data to the astronomers involved.
> >
> > In particular, I am wondering what the status is of Medicina - the last I
> > heard the connection had been made, but so far I understand it, we have
> > not had any real connectivity between JIVE and Medicina.
> >
> > It would be a great boost to the science output of the observations
> > planned for 16 March, if Medicina was able to participate. Note the goal
> > for the 16 March is 128 Mbps per telescope.
> >
> > cheers Mike.
> >

> > On Tue, 7 Mar 2006, Arpad Szomoru wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all. In preparation for the evlbi science run on the 16th we will do a
> > > test in which we will stream formatter data from all available telescopes
> > > to the correlator. This time we will try to setup a skype chat session
> > > instead of sending vast amounts of emails. If any of you want to
> > > participate or just to follow what is going on, my skype name is
> > > ArpadSzomoru, and I suppose you will have to let me know your skype name
> > > as well. The test will be March 10, starting 1230 UT.
> > > Cheers, Arpad

> >             Mike Garrett         ([log in to unmask] & www.jive.nl/~mag)
> >            Director JIVE
> >           _______    ________     Joint Institute for VLBI in Europe
> >          / /  _/ |  / / ____/     Postbus 2, 7990 AA Dwingeloo, NL.
> >     __  / // / | | / / __/        Phone (office): +31 (0)521 596511
> >    / /_/ // /  | |/ / /___        Mobile: +31 (0)621 201417
> >    \____/___/  |___/_____/        Fax: +31 (0)521 596539
> >
> > "It's a great day for rugby, unless you're English..." - Jonathan
> >  Davies, BBC1, 25 February 2006.

  Arpad Szomoru, Head Data Processor Research and Development, JIVE

  Joint Institute for VLBI in Europe        tel. +31521596509/596500
  PO Box 2                                  mob. +31650502091
  7990 AA Dwingeloo                         fax  +31521597332
  The Netherlands                           [log in to unmask]