Help for EVN-NREN Archives

EVN-NREN Archives

Subject: Advise for the Gb/s connectivity between Yebes and the spanish GEANT node
From: Pablo de Vicente <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 27 Mar 2006 12:19:09 +0200

Hello

I do not know if this is the right place to ask for, but since I am subscribed
to this list since some months I would like to ask you for advise regarding
our future connectivity to GEANT.

At Yebes we plan to make a contract within the next months to connect our
telescope at least at 1 Gb/s (and may be 2.5 Gb/s) with the Geant node in
Spain. For the time being we cannot hire a dark fiber and therefore a
telecommunications company will provide the access. They are suggesting us
two possibilities:

a) The link managed by this company is one STM-16 (SDH at 2.5 Gb/s). At both
sides there is a Nortel OM4200 which feeds a Cisco 7604 with several 1 Gb/s
lines.

b) The link managed by the company is DWDM at 2.5 Gb/s. At both sides there is
a Nortel OM5200 which can provide 1 Gb/s lines directly which could be fed
directly into Gigabit switches. I suppose that in the later case if we want
to use routers, these would be much cheaper than the Cisco 7604.

The Nortel OM 4200 is cheaper than the OM5200 one, but in the later case we
might not need expensive routers. We could even use Gigabit switches with
routing capabilities.

What would be more adequate for the future taking into account that bandwidth
may increase to 10 Gb/s?.

Thanks

Pablo.
Pablo de Vicente,  http://www.oan.es,  OAN Spain