Subject: PhD position on sex-changing fish - UCD DUblin
From: stefano mariani <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 27 May 2006 12:38:41 +0100

><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
If you reply to this message, it will go to all FISH-SCI members.
><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>

PhD position - UCD Dublin, Ireland

EU-nationals are invited to apply for a 3-year PhD scholarship in the
MarBEE group at the UCD School of Biological & Environmental Science
in Dublin, working
with Dr Stefano Mariani in a newly-established group focusing on the
evolutionary ecology and fisheries genetics of marine animals.
The research is funded by Science Foundation Ireland, under the
Research Frontieres Programme, and is aimed at understanding the
population genetic consequences of sex change in marine fish, using
molecular genetics, meta-analysis and computer modelling. The project
will entail extensive molecular biology laboratory activity, fieldwork
periods in the Mediterranean and South Africa, as well as intense
computer-based work.
Candidates should ideally already possess a Master-level degree in
empirical population genetics or evolutionary biology, though we
welcome applicants from other disciplines such as marine biology,
zoology, ecology, as well as candidates with backgrounds in
bioinformatics and applied mathematics, with a strong interest in
biological systems.
Proficiency in molecular laboratory techniques would be very
advantageous, as would
some experience of computer modelling. Strong enthusiasm for fieldwork
in marine coastal habitats and commitment to interdisciplinary
research are critical.

The appointee will join the Marine Biodiversity, Ecology & Evolution
Group and the Molecular Genetics Lab, which together comprise 12 PhD
students, 2 Post-doctoral fellows and three academic staff, working
on a broad range of topics from comparative genomics, molecular
phylogenetics and population genetics, to fisheries science, community
ecology and ecosystem management.
For more details visit: http://www.ucd.ie/zoology/marbee/

Application procedure:
Please send a 1-page covering letter and a CV no longer than 2 pages,
plus names and emails of three people who can be contacted for
references, to: [log in to unmask]
Closing date for applications: 30th June 2006 (interviews between July
and August).
Project start date: strictly 1st September 2006.
Scholarship includes payment of university fees plus a monthly stipend
of 1,300 EUR.

Committed to Equal Opportunities.

Feel free to contact me for any further information about the project
and related issues.

Best,

Stefano Mariani

Dr Stefano Mariani
MARine Biodiversity, Ecology & Evolution
UCD School of Biological & Environmental Science
Science and Education Research Centre (West)
University College Dublin
Belfield
Dublin 4
Republic of Ireland
tel. +353.1.716.2347
fax. +353.1.716.1152
http://www.ucd.ie/zoology/marbee/

       To leave the Fish-Sci list, Send blank message to:
        mailto:[log in to unmask]
   Web page at http://segate.sunet.se/archives/fish-sci.html