Subject: Re: Deep Threats for High Seas
From: "Johnston, Justin C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 9 Aug 2006 09:39:25 -0400

><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
If you reply to this message, it will go to all FISH-SCI members.
><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>

Trevor,

I don't want to get caught in the argument, but I am curious about your
comment that you have literature that shows that, "while many studies
have shown that most of the benthos (most of the benthos being composed
of small animals) in most habitats suffers only a low rate of loss per
pass of a trawl."  What exactly is a "low rate of loss"?  How is that
quantified and what was it compared with?  If that is on a per trawl
pass basis, what happens when multiple passes occur in the same area?
Would multiple trawl passes have a linear, logistic, or synergistic
effect on benthos/habitat loss?

Cheers!

Justin C Johnston
Biologist