Subject: Re: depensatory exploitation
From: "Trevor J. Kenchington" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 2 Aug 2006 14:40:03 -0300

><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
If you reply to this message, it will go to all FISH-SCI members.
><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>

Further to my message of a few minutes ago, Patrick Cordue has written:

> Hi Rom,
>
> Yes, I see the difference. The problem is that you keep using the term
> "function" (and this has consequences in interpretation of
> results). In
> specific cases, exploitation rate will often be an  "empirical
> function" of
> abundance. However, suppose that the abundance tracks down and then
> recovers
> (and possibly the cycle repeats a number of times). Then for a given
> abundance there will be, in real fisheries, more than one
> exploitation rate -
> and the "empirical function" is not, strictly speaking, a function.
>
> This is just a point of terminology. I can see that it would be
> interesting
> to look at the shape of the relationships between exploitation rate
> and
> abundance for a number of fisheries. However, without an
> understanding of the
> underlying mechanisms (the real functional response - i.e., all the
> parameters, not just abundance) I am not sure what usefully
> conclusions could
> be reached.
>
> But, thank you for an interesting discussion.
>
> Regards
> Patrick

In fisheries science, we have and need expertise drawn from many
disciplines, which will often use the same terms with subtly
different meanings. (And often radically-different ones, though those
are less likely to cause confusion.) I was taught that one variable
is a function of another when changing the second changes the first,
whether or not additional variables can also influence the outcome.
Hence, the strength of gravitational attraction between two bodies is
a function (specifically an inverse linear function) of the square of
the distance between them, even though it is also a function of the
sum of the masses of the two bodies. That has nothing to do with
purely-empirical relationships.

My previous message should be read with that understanding.

I do, however, fully agree with Patrick that an understanding of
underlying mechanisms is needed before useful conclusions can be
drawn from studies of relationships between exploitation rates and
resource abundance.

Trevor Kenchington

       To leave the Fish-Sci list, Send blank message to:
        mailto:[log in to unmask]
 For information send INFO FISH-SCI to [log in to unmask]