Subject: USFWS Electrofishing Course in California
From: "Alan J. Temple" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 29 Aug 2006 13:44:16 -0400

><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
If you reply to this message, it will go to all FISH-SCI members.
><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>

***Please do not reply to the list.  If interested contact Alan Temple

                                               Principles & Techniques of
                              Electrofishing

                             Course # FIS 2201

DATE:          October 16 – 20, 2006

LOCATION:   Lake Tahoe, CA/NV

TUITION:       $850 (USFWS employees no tuition)

COLLEGE CREDIT:       2.0 semester hours

COURSE DESCRIPTION:

This course illustrates the basic principles of electricity as applied to
electrofishing.  The goals of this course are to (1) familiarize
participants with electric circuit and field theory, system components, and
sampling considerations (thereby providing a framework for increasing the
efficiency and standardization of electrofishing), (2) provide safety
training and simple equipment trouble-shooting methods, and (3) promote the
awareness of and methods to assess and minimize electrofishing-induced fish
injury.  We also hope to take some of the mystery out of the “black box”
that is on your back or on the boat.

Participants will be provided a class manual (~350 page workbook) and
reference CD ROM containing two computer-based-training modules.  There are
many in-class demonstrations illustrating electrical principles as they
apply to electrofishing. A one-half day field trip is included to evaluate
electrofishing gear from electrical (evaluate waveforms generated, map
electric field configuration, determine effective electric field size, make
electrode resistance measurements) and safety perspectives.  Also in the
field, an exercise is conducted to collect data used for power
standardization.

On the final day of the course, an exam will be administered.  Successful
completion of the course is obtained by a score of 80% or higher.
Participants achieving this minimum score will be awarded a course
completion certificate and 2 undergraduate college credits (should they
wish them).  In the unlikely event a participant scores below 80%, another
exam will be provided for later completion at the person’s duty station.

OBJECTIVES:

Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:

*     Describe basic principles of electricity in circuits (circuit theory)
      and in water (electric field theory).
*     List three major voltage waveforms and calculate peak-to-peak
      voltage, rms voltage, frequency, pulse duty cycle, and power.
*     Describe the power transfer theory of electrofishing.
*     Discuss the effects that various electrode systems have on electric
      field configuration.
*     List the arrangement and functions of the major components of an
      electrofishing system.
*     Describe the major types of electrofishing equipment that are
      currently in use and discuss the capabilities, limitations, and
      safety features of each.
*     Describe desirable features that an electrofishing unit should have.
*     Know the proper safety precautions to employ while using
      electrofishing equipment.
*     Calculate electrode resistance to determine total power demand and
      relative power at different electrodes as well as for guidling
      electrode design.
*     Map the voltage/power gradient field projected by an electrofishing
      unit.
*     Calculate power requirements for effective fish sampling over a range
      of water conductivities.
*     Discuss factors affecting electrofishing efficiency.
*     Discuss the effects of electrofishing on fish (e.g. stress and
      injury).
*     Discuss sampling strategies and power concepts.
*     Apply principles learned to help standardize and increase the
      efficiency of electrofishing.

FOR INFORMATION CONTACT:

Alan Temple
USFWS National Conservation Training Center
(304) 876-7440

or

Department of Interior employees must register through DOI Learn.

Others not employed in the department of Interior may go to
http://training.fws.gov/ and click on "Courses" > "Catalog of Training" >
"Search the catalog as a guest" . Next, search on FIS2201.  "Principles &
Techniques of Electrofishing" will come up.  Click on the course title and
then the "Apply" button.  Alternatively, contact Alan Temple via email for
an application form that can be printed and faxed.

Closing Date for Applications: September 15, 2006

       To leave the Fish-Sci list, Send blank message to:
        mailto:[log in to unmask]
 For information send INFO FISH-SCI to [log in to unmask]