Subject: Mixed modelling (including temporal + spatial correlation) for biologists
From: "Highland Statistics Ltd." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 5 Jun 2007 13:52:54 +0100

><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
If you reply to this message, it will go to all FISH-SCI members.
><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>

We would like to announce the following statistics course:

A 5 day mixed modelling, GLMM and GAMM course in Newburgh, UK

When: Monday 1 October until Friday 5 October 2007.
Where: Ythan hotel, Newburgh, Aberdeenshire, UK.

Details:
http://www.highstat.com/statscourse.htm

!!   There is a strong emphasis on temporal and spatial correlation
in this course.  !!

When: Monday 1 October until Friday 5 October 2007.
Where: Ythan hotel, Newburgh, Aberdeenshire, UK.

spatial data, nested data, and heterogeneous data.

Course: "Analysing Biological and Environmental Data -Using mixed
modelling, GLMM and GAMM-".

The main subject of the course is mixed modelling (nested data),
generalised least squares (different variance components,
auto-correlation for time series and spatial correlation),
generalised linear mixed modelling (Poisson and Binomial),
generalised additive mixed modelling (Poisson and Binomial), and
repeated measurements.

Open to: Anyone. This is a non-technical course for biologist.

Pre-required knowledge: You need to read either (i) chapters 4, 5, 6
and 7 of Zuur, AF, Ieno, EN, Smith, GM (2007). Analysing Ecological
Data. Springer. 685p, or (ii) attend our univariate GLM & GAM course.

Price: Early registration: 600 GBP (for students and non-students).
Prices are excluding 17.5% VAT. The fee includes coffee and tea, and
the course material.

Accommodation is around 40 GBP per night (provided you book early)
but is not included in the course fee. We are close to Aberdeen
airport (25 GBP for a taxi).

Maximum number of participants: 10.

You need to bring your own laptop, though we have a few spare ones.

Outline. Monday: Revision of Chapters 4-7 in Zuur et al (2007).
Tuesday and Wednesday: Dealing with heterogeneity and random effects.
Thursday and Friday: Temporal correlation structures in regression,
GLM and GAM models. Spatial correlation structures in regression, GLM
and GAM models (also useful for time series data!). What to write in
a paper. Catch-up, case studies and presenting results for your own data.

Kind regards,
Alain Zuur

Dr. Alain F. Zuur
First author of:

1. Analysing Ecological Data (2007).
Zuur, AF, Ieno, EN and Smith, GM. Springer. 680 p.

2. Analysing Ecological data using GLMM and GAMM in R. (2008).
Zuur, AF, Ieno, EN, Walker, N and Smith, GM. Springer.

3. An introduction to R for the life scientists: - With a paper
submission guide - (2008).
Zuur, AF, Ieno, EN and Meesters, EHGW. Springer

Other books: http://www.brodgar.com/books.htm

Statistical consultancy, courses, data analysis and software
Highland Statistics Ltd.
6 Laverock road
UK - AB41 6FN Newburgh
Tel: 0044 1358 788177
Email: [log in to unmask]

To leave the Fish-Sci list, Send the message "SIGNOFF FISH-SCI" to:
        mailto:[log in to unmask]
For information send INFO FISH-SCI to [log in to unmask]