Subject: Re: Floating atmospheric regulators
From: "Trevor J. Kenchington" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 21 Jun 2007 21:05:39 -0300

><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
If you reply to this message, it will go to all FISH-SCI members.
><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>

PtP,

Why would you want to focus on the surface of the ocean, meaning
perhaps the top 10mm, when you could promote production in the entire
euphotic zone, extending down to maybe 100m depth? With 10,000 times
the water volume available, you would likely get more benefit for
your efforts that way.

Also, UV light has nasty effects on living tissue (as my sunburnt
back is telling me after a rare clear day here). But UV doesn't
penetrate far into seawater, so most marine organisms have not
evolved ways to cope with it. By focusing on surface-dwelling
neuston, you would be closing the door to most of the plants that
could take up the excess carbon.

Then again, when a plant dies at the surface, its carbon is that much
the more likely to return to the atmosphere, which is not what you
are after.

All in all, a focus on the ocean surface seems misguided for one
pursuing your objectives.

Trevor Kenchington

You wrote:

> Further to our previous discussion on atmospheric carbon absorption
> by phytoplankton then (eg the "Planktos" work as covered by
> Discovery TV recently) would it not be best to focus on just the
> surface ecosystem? Lily pads float on the surface and absorb
> carbon. There must be other living creatures which do the same and
> maybe therein lies an effective carbon absorber which could be
> cultivated in various waters by "mineralizing" them as the Planktos
> ship will do.
>
> PtP

To leave the Fish-Sci list, Send the message "SIGNOFF FISH-SCI" to:
        mailto:[log in to unmask]
For information send INFO FISH-SCI to [log in to unmask]