Subject: Re: Floating atmospheric regulators
From: Bill Silvert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 22 Jun 2007 12:12:29 +0100

><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
If you reply to this message, it will go to all FISH-SCI members.
><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>

I agree with Trevor's message, but would like to comment on his note that
"Then again, when a plant dies at the surface, its carbon is that much the
more likely to return to the atmosphere, which is not what you are after."
Most phytoplankton sink when they have exhausted their growth potential and
do not die on the surface. They are then degraded by bacterial decomposition
on the seabed, a process which consumes oxygen and releases CO2 into the
water column. Unfortunately the consumption of oxygen can lead to hypoxic or
anoxic conditions and the creation of dead zones on the ocean floor -- this
often happens after massive algal blooms, and is not a desirable state of
affairs.

Bill Silvert